Table of Contents
What are two synonyms for arduous?
What does arduous mean mean?
arduous \AHR-juh-wus\ adjective. 1 a : hard to accomplish or achieve : difficult. b : marked by great labor or effort : strenuous. 2 : hard to climb : steep.
What can be arduous?
Arduous was first used in English to mean “steep” or “difficult to climb.” If you’re an outdoorsman, hiking up a mountain is a lot of fun, but if you’re a couch potato, it’s an arduous trek. Today, the word can be used figuratively for something that is difficult or takes a lot of work.
What is an example of arduous?
Arduous is defined as a sharp, high climb where reaching the top is a challenge. Mt. Everest is an example of an arduous incline. The definition of arduous is a way of describing something that is extremely tiring and difficult.
What is a word for difficult journey?
1 arduous, burdensome, demanding, formidable, hard, laborious, like getting blood out of a stone, no picnic (informal) onerous, painful, strenuous, toilsome, uphill, wearisome.
What is an arduous journey?
adjective. Something that is arduous is difficult and tiring, and involves a lot of effort.
What part of speech is arduous?
Needing or using up much energy; testing powers of endurance. “The movement towards a peaceful settlement has been a long and arduous political struggle.” Hard to climb.
What is the difference between strenuous and arduous?
Strenuous and arduous are negative words. They are almost the same, because both mean “needing a lot of energy and exertion,” and they both use a lot of energy so the person is very tired afterwards. Arduous also has a feeling annoying or bothersome.
What is a word for takes a lot of time?
1 toilsome, arduous, onerous, burdensome, difficult, hard, tiresome, wearisome, fatiguing.
How do you use assuage?
Assuage sentence example
- I did what little I could to assuage my guilt. …
- He tried to assuage the guilt of wrongdoing by doing right. …
- He was able to assuage the bad feelings. …
- He made a mental note to send a piece of jewelry to her hotel room to assuage guilt over the promised phone call that would never happen.
What is the noun form of arduous?
arduousness. The state of being arduous.
What does difficult task mean?
adj. 1 not easy to do; requiring effort. a difficult job.
How do you pronounce arduously?
What’s a synonym for the word strenuous?
adjectivedifficult, hard to endure. backbreaking. burdensome. exhausting. fatiguing.
What is a synonym for too long?
Encompassing an inordinately large period of time. forever. continuously. endlessly.
How do you use attenuate?
Attenuate in a Sentence ?
- Doctors claim taking the flu vaccine will attenuate the effects of the illness.
- The doctor suggested I take acetaminophen to attenuate my fever.
- Jack sleeps with his headphones on to attenuate the nightly noise that comes from his neighbor’s house.
How do you use diatribe in a sentence?
Diatribe Sentence Examples
The presidential candidate made a diatribe against the opposing party, causing there to be even more anger between the parties.
How do you use bucolic in a sentence?
How to use Bucolic in a sentence
- He drank in the sights and sounds of the bucolic world around him and for the first time in days felt relaxed. …
- They included bucolic poems in Greek. …
- The other bucolic poems need not be further discussed.
What is the meaning of arduous amigo?
Translation of «adiós amigo» in English language: «goodbye friend»
What is a daunting task?
If a task is daunting, it’s intimidating or overwhelming in a way that makes you not even want to try to do it. Daunting is the progressive or continuous tense (the -ing form) of the verb daunt, meaning to intimidate or discourage. But daunting is commonly used as an adjective.